DEAR HARRIETTE: I decided to do some research on the company that I hastily accepted a job offer from.

Harriette Cole 

Upon researching, I found out that its CEO has been accused of sexual harassment by a few former employees. The investigation is ongoing, and he is still the CEO for the time being, so I would be working under him.

I’m now on the fence about my decision. My last boss faced similar accusations, and the company ended up closing down as a result.

Would it be smart to go back and decline the job even though I’ve already accepted the offer?

Worried

DEAR WORRIED: Unless you already have another job lined up or enough resources not to go to this job, do not do anything rash.

Yes, it would have been good for you to do the research in advance, but it is unlikely that this man will behave inappropriately with you while an active investigation into his behavior is ongoing.

You should be able to go to work, do your job and feel safe now. Pay close attention so that you learn office politics and figure out who you can trust.

Treat the CEO with respect. As long as he is there, he is your boss. Adopt the attitude that you have a lot to learn from him in order to do your job effectively. When you interact with him, be prepared with questions that will help you to learn the business. Avoid topics that are too personal. In other words, behave professionally.

Over time, you will see how these allegations play out, and more, what your gut tells you about this man and this company.

DEAR HARRIETTE: I’m extremely nervous about seeing a therapist.

I have what seems to be an endless list of reservations about therapy. I am afraid I’ll become dependent on it, I’m afraid that it won’t work, I’m afraid of sharing my trauma with a stranger and I’m afraid of being judged for my thoughts and feelings.

How do I get over these fears?

Scared To Share

DEAR SCARED TO SHARE: I want to encourage you to push past your fear. A good therapist can help you to unlock your insecurities, address your issues and find the space to live a healthier, more productive life. Thousands of people have benefited from working with therapists over the decades, and the stigma surrounding working with them has dissipated over time.

Your trepidation is not unusual, though. This is due, in part, to what it takes to have a successful relationship with a therapist. You do have to be honest. You do have to work hard to allow your innermost thoughts, feelings and experiences to emerge. It takes real work, harvesting your own stories of pain, triumph and uncertainty. The best therapist-patient relationships build trust over time, which makes it easier to relax and share your innermost issues.

Consider this an opportunity for self-discovery. While you might be embarrassed sometimes to tell the truth about your thoughts or behavior, the reward can far outweigh the risk. Your therapist is there to support you, not judge you. And the whole process is confidential. Only you and the therapist should be in the know about your life.

Harriette Cole is a lifestylist and founder of DREAMLEAPERS, an initiative to help people access and activate their dreams. You can send questions to askharriette@harriettecole.com or c/o Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.